Sunday, February 22, 2015

rid my fear of public speaking?!

helloooooo friends!

its been so long! my apologies, I have been extremely busy from school and all. But I decided to squeeze a little bit of time to write a post! I actually have an examination tomorrow but I still feel like I should write something :)

so, about two weeks ago, my class and I had a formal presentation for a particular module. now this is a big thing for us considering my class is a science class and we know next to nothing about all the formalities like business students do. So this presentation meant speaking in front of my class and teacher. Now, I used to have this huge fear of standing in front of the class and talking to a large group of people. But being in polytechnic for the past few months, I've learned to overcome that fear. Sort of.

but anyway, here I have a few tips if you want to get over your fear of public speaking.

Firstly, when speaking in front of the audience, try to look at everyone. I mean sure, follow the Z formation or whatever, but most importantly don't just look at one person. Because for me personally, when I look around, at least I won't be standing there awkwardly staring at just one person. Move your head so that as you speak you're not stagnant even if you're standing at one spot only.

If you are afraid of looking them in the eye, then look at their foreheads. it will seem as if you are looking in their eyes but really you're not. slowly as you do more presentations you'll move from their forehead to their nose and then their eyes. It helps, trust me ;)

thirdly, practice in front of a mirror. speak in front of the mirror as if you are talking to the audience. While looking in the mirror look at yourself in the eye. I do that a lot, because to me it feels as if I am looking at the audience if I look at myself in the eye through the mirror.

Now, when you are going to speak in front of an audience try not to memorise your script 100%. you do not have to follow your script fully. If you do you will usually sound like you are just reading from a mental book. instead, why not remember your main points and all the extravagant words and then speak from the heart when your are on stage. It works for me all the time.

Finally, never be afraid to try. For me personally, being in polytechnic we have a lot of opportunities to speak in front of the class. don't be afraid to give it a go and speak in front of your class. the more you do it, the faster your fear will go away. Just like mine did!

I mean I'm not perfect at speaking in public, and nor am I in love with it. sometimes I still get nervous and my voice will shake a little. But I always try my best and take every opportunity that comes. :)

hope that helped! If not a lot, then a little :)
well, I need to get back to my revision. see you guys soon! have a great day! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment